Sunday, November 8, 2009

Big Girl Bed

Maddie made the leap to her big girl bed this weekend, she was probably ready for it months ago... but we weren't ready for it yet. Thanks to her cautious behavior, there were never any attempts to climb out of the crib... why make the switch right?

So yesterday I fixed up the crib with the new rail and we prepped Maddie for her first nap in the big girl bed. Our only instructions for her prior to the nap - - do not climb out of the bed. 2PM rolled around and we put her down just like we always do.... not a peep (or sounds of rummaging) for 2 hours. I went in around 4PM and she was in a daze laying in her bed... still half asleep, but awake and ready to get out. There appeared to be quite a few dolls and toys in the bed with her too.

It takes our princess a good 15 minutes to defrost after a nap, she usually sits on one of our laps and enjoys some quiet time... she does not like to be disturbed. About 5 minutes into her quiet time on my lap:


Maddie (in a whisper): Daddy, I have to tell you something.

Dad: Really, what is it Maddie?

Maddie (again in a whisper): I got out and got my babies and got back in.



She fessed up! Our little girl couldn't keep the secret... the baby dolls on the floor were too tempting, they had to join her in the new bed. But I must say, the transition was seamless. The first night was equally successful as well. When we went in to get her this morning, the first thing she said: "I stayed in my crib, I didn't get out". A big milestone, what a big girl!


1 comment:

Grandma said...

Maddie looks adorable in her new bed. You are correct about one thing - you will never be ready for every milestone that indicates your little one is growing up!